Derby Pie Cupcakes
Derby Pie Cupcakes. I love sweets, I love watching the Kentucky Derby…so, Derby Pie Cupcakes sound just about perfect to me! Pineapple Paper Co. shared her sweet, sophisticated, Southern style Derby party in the Summer issue of Everyday Party Magazine. And, I’m not going to lie, I was texting her within minutes for the recipe for these bites of deliciousness. Not only did she share it with me, but she told me to share it here too!!!
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup (approximately) light brown sugar
- 7 T Flour
- 1 1/4 whole milk
- 1 T Kentucky Bourbon (use vanilla if you don't want to add the alcohol)
- 1 1/2 cup salted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 c. brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Chocolate syrup or Melted Chocolate
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare cupcake pans with liners.
- Make cake mix according to package directions. Add in 1 cup chocolate chips and mix well.
- Fill cupcake liners to 1/2-3/4 full, making sure to mix the batter as you are filling to make sure to distribute the chocolate chips among the cupcakes. Top each cupcake with 1-2 teaspoons brown sugar. Bake according to package directions (15-20 minutes, or until cupcakes are set). Remove from oven and cool completely.
- Prepare buttercream while cupcakes are cooling. In a small saucepan, over medium-low heat, whisk flour into milk. Stir constantly until it thickens to the consistency of a thick batter. Remove from heat and let it cool to room temperature.
- Stir in bourbon (or vanilla).
- Cream the butter and brown sugar together until light and fluffy on medium high, about 3 minutes. Add the completely cooled milk mixture and mix to incorporate on low speed.
- Mix for about 5 minutes on medium-high to high speed until it looks like whipped cream, and the sugar granules have been incorporated.
- Pipe buttercream onto cooled cupcakes and top with chopped pecans. Drizzle with chocolate.
Please remember that free printables are for personal use only. They cannot be edited, altered or resold.