Coconut Ice Cream Shake Recipe
By Taylor Fox
*This whole week I am sharing favorite drink recipes from some of my closest friends, as well as our own “House Special”. You don’t want to miss any of these fabulous drink recipes, I promise, they are all that good! *
For a recent summer barbecue, I wanted to make a summery drink that kids and adults would both love. Coconut and pineapple are perfect flavors for hot weather and because of their sweetness and light flavors, most people are happy to eat them. This Coconut Ice Cream Shake Recipe, with or without the alcohol, is the PERFECT summer treat!
- 2 cans of full fat coconut milk
- 4 egg s or eight egg whites
- 4 tbsp. vanilla extract
- Rum (optional)
- This is a custard style ice cream base.
- Boil water in a pot and reduce to simmer. Place a container on top of it to create a double boiler.
- Add the coconut milk and vanilla to the container and heat it without letting it boil.
- In a separate bowl, whisk your eggs or egg yolks (using just yolks will result in a thicker creamier consistency).
- Add a small amount of the heated coconut milk to the eggs as you whisk them quickly. This will heat the eggs without causing them to scramble.
- Add a bit more until it is incorporated and then add the eggs to the double boiler. Whisk the coconut milk and eggs until they form a thick custard, being sure it does not become too hot or start to boil.
- After the custard has cooled, process it with your ice cream maker or freeze it for several hours, stirring it every half hour.
- You can scoop the finished product into bowls for the kids and enjoy it as is.
- Or, you can add your favorite kind of rum, half a can of crushed pineapple and blend until smooth.
- Garnish with coconut flakes and enjoy!